Virginia Hollow is a band and a sound born from the hills, valleys and mountains of Appalachia. Their performances and music take you on a journey fraught with raw emotions and stories of love, trust, betrayal, and longing. When all is said and done, the haunting melodies of Carrie Hinkley's soulful voice are hard to shake off and instead keep returning and playing in one's mind, like an untamed mantra of beauty and tragedy. This is a band whose time has come to be reckoned with.
Virginia Hollow is a mixture of Americana, Bluegrass, Country, Indie, and Rock. A singer-songwriter band that performs songs written by lead singer Carrie Hinkley, along with an occasional handpicked cover or two.
Carrie Hinkley: Vocals & Acoustic Guitar
Alan Graf: Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin
Sue Winchester: Upright Bass & Harmony Vocals
More About the Band
Founder and lead singer of the band Virginia Hollow, Carrie is a singer-songwriter from southwest Virginia.
Around the age of 13, she taught herself some chords on her dad's Fender 6 string acoustic guitar. She wrote her first song in high school. Songwriting and playing music was something that she did for many years as a hobby, only sharing her songs with a few select friends.
In 2014, Carrie played at an open mic at Dogtown Roadhouse in Floyd, Virginia. Playing her songs in public in front of an audience started off as being an item to cross off her bucket list. That experience became the fuel to fire her passion for performing, and sparked her desire to share her songs with the world.
In 2017, Carrie released her self-titled album that was recorded at Windfall Studios in Floyd, Virginia.
Alan started his musical career at 12 years old playing classical piano, quickly abandoning that for electric guitar after seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. From that point on, Graf has helped start a few bands that have achieved international recognition as well as working as a session musician and member for bands in Portland, Oregon and Nashville, Tennessee. He currently resides in Floyd, Virginia and plays guitar, banjo and mandolin for Virginia Hollow and other local groups.
Starting at a very early age, Sue was singing British folk tunes and Gilbert and Sullivan, along with her English grandfather on zither, and her dad on piano. Her first instrument was flute, and she studied music as a minor in college. At 12, Sue and her older brother began performing together, guitar and vocals, for the Navy hospital on Guam; they kept the duo going for several years. Sue went solo in her late teens and 20’s, singing and finger-picking 6- and 12-string guitar at clubs all over the island of St. Thomas. Years later, an interest in bluegrass prompted a curiosity about upright bass…and all else was forgotten. Who cares that you can fit a flute, or a guitar, into any vehicle…it was a love affair with the upright from that moment on, to the exclusion of everything else. She played 12 years with the Shuey Brothers bluegrass band in Pennsylvania, and is a frequent co-host at the Floyd Country Store’s Sunday bluegrass jams. Playing and harmonizing Carrie’s original songs, in the Virginia Hollow trio format, is both a challenge, and, a blessing.
Places & Events
- Circa Blue Fest (Martinsburg, WV - 2019)
- Floyd Americana Festival (Floyd, VA - 2019, 2021)
- Floyd Yoga Jam (Willis, VA - 2018, 2019)
- MerleFest (Wilkesboro, NC - 2018)
- Newbern Fall Festival (Newbern, VA - 2018, 2019, 2021)
- NorFOLK Festival (Norfolk, VA - 2019)
- Salem Fair (Salem, VA -2021)
- Steppin' Out (Blacksburg, VA - 2018, 2019, 2021)
Charities & Causes:
- Cabin Fever Terry's Fork (Pilot, VA - Cabin Fever Fall Fling: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & Cabin Fever: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021)
- Floyd PRIDE (Floyd VA -2021)
- Girls Rock Roanoke Fundraiser (Salem, VA - April 6, 2019)
- James Helms Benefit (Oak Grove Pavilion, Floyd, VA - October 6, 2017)
- Plenty! Harvest Festival (Floyd, VA - October 21, 2018)
- Springhouse Community School Benefit (Floyd Center for the Arts, Floyd, VA - January 18, 2019)
Other Cool Stuff:
- Opened for The FLOORBOARDS (Legendary Biscuit Sessions at 5 Points Music Sanctuary, Roanoke, VA - April 23, 2017)
- Opened for Larry Keel - The Larry Keel Experience (Legendary Biscuit Sessions at 5 Points Music Sanctuary, Roanoke VA - April 30, 2017)
- Radio - WUVT (Blacksburg, VA - March 26, 2017)
- Radio - WVTF Roots Down Session hosted by Luke Church. (December 1, 2018)
- TV - Daytime Blue Ridge, WSLS 10 (Roanoke VA - Janurary 16, 2019)